What are the Benefits of Spray Foam Roofing
If you haven’t considered spray foam roofing for your commercial building before, it might be time to give it a shot. This option is ideal for restoring or reinforcing an existing roof, giving it a more durable and insulated exterior. To figure out if this renewable roof replacement is the right option for you, here are a few advantages of spray foam roofing to consider.
First, What is Spray Foam Roofing?
An even layer of foam is sprayed across an existing roof, reinforcing it against leaks and external damage, while adding insulation. Spray foam roofing starts as a liquid, composed of two highly reactive chemicals: polyol/resin and isocyanate. These two chemicals pumped separately, come together through a high-pressure and heated hose. Once sprayed onto a roof, this mixture expands into a foam up to 20x its size, eventually forming a 1-1.5 inch thick layer. Once spray foam insulation installation is complete, it becomes a waterproof and weather-resistant covering that insulates for years.
Benefits of Spray Foam Roofing
If you’re looking to re-roof, or add insulation to your existing commercial roof, spray foam has quite a few things going for it! Benefits include:
- Renewable – Once you spray your polyurethane foam, you’re able to easily re-coat it. Depending on the amount and type of UV-blocking coating applied at time of initial installation, your roof shouldn’t need to be recoated for up to 20 years. However, in the event that it needs a touch up, it’s easy to do so.
- Seamless – Spray foam insulation doesn’t have any seams or laps, where leaks are prone to occur. It’s effective against any sort of penetration, regardless of your commercial roof’s shape.
- High R-value. Of all of the roof insulation options, spray polyurethane foam has the highest R-value. R-value denotes how insulating a material is. The higher the number, the better the insulation, the lower your energy cost!
- Soundproofing – These added layers on your roof minimize sound coming from overhead, adding an element of peace and quiet to your day-to-day operations.
- Quick Installation. A foam roof can be finished quickly, with few workers and without interfering with day-to-day activities in your commercial building.
Types of Spray Foam Roofing
- Open-cell spray foam. (*used for interior insulating purposes)
- Density of ½ lb. per cubic ft.
- R-value between 3.5-4.4/inch
- Average cost $1.50 – $2.24/square ft.
- Closed Cell spray foam
- Density of 2.0-3.0 lb per cubic ft.
- R-value: 6.5-7.0/in.
- $3.50 – $5.25/square ft.
- Impermeable (*used for exterior roofing/insulating purposes)
Let’s Get to Roofing
SUNVEK has been installing foam roofing since 1984! If spray foam insulation seems like a good fit for your roofing needs, give us a call. We’re happy to talk you through the options, and answer any questions you may have about foam roofing. Want to see it in action? Our Foam Roof Replacement Video just might inspire your next roofing project.
With decades of experience, our experts at SUNVEK are here to help you make an educated decision about the roof over your head!
Ready to start your project?
More From Our Blog
Budgeting for a roofing emergency might not sound appealing. But the reality is that roofing is vital to your safety. …
Skylights, or roof daylighting, allow natural light to flow into your home, brightening up your space. But, as with any…
Today, more and more Arizona homeowners are choosing tile roofs over other options. After all, they’re a durable and attractive…